Whitney was born on June 14, 1991 near Richmond, Virginia and grew up in the suburbs of Washington, DC. When she turned 13,Whitney started professionally pursuing singing and was introduced to a well known vocal teacher, Laurie Nelson, from whom Whitney went on to take lessons from for years to come and continues to this day.
Whitney has always been a passionate soul, and as you can see through her lyrics, that passion still lives inside of her.
Whitney is the youngest of three adopted children. Her parents Anne and Steve Akridge have two sons as well, Whitney’s older brothers. She graduated from Annandale High School, completed a two-year Associates Degree in Voice Performance at Northern Virginia Community College and has completed her first semester at George Mason University’s School of Music.
Throughout the years, she has been trained in Classical Music and Opera and has maintained a passion of being a solo artist. She is focused on achieving recognition as a contemporary singer and songwriter, crafting and honing her talent as she continues to express her inner spirit.
She has recorded her first album, Cosmic Kitchen, with her Producer, Jim Ebert, at Cue Studios in Falls Church, Virginia. The album will debut this summer under her label, SuchGoodKarma Records. In concert with her passion of creating music, she has an interesting connection to psychological and behavioral study. This coinciding passion of Whitney’s allows for a deeper connection in lyrics when writing her songs.
Whitney’s credentials to date include:
- 1st place at Annandale and Springfield’s club level James A. Bland Vocal Scholarship Competition (2007, 2008 & 2009)
- 2nd place Lions Regional Level Scholarship Competition
- Soloist Award at Williamsburg Choral Competition, 2005
- Sician’s Excellence Award with Annandale Singers, Annandale High School 2009
- Virginia Honor’s Choir & State Choir (2008-2009)
- Whitney’s voice coach Laurie Nelson is the founder of NM Productions, Inc., and orchestrates the production of public events showcasing her studio’s performers. Whitney’s performances have included Cabaret: Scenes from “Light in the Piazza,” “Company,” “Kiss Me Kate”, “& She Loves Me,” the Opera “Too Many Sopranos” by Edwin Penhorwood, VA Concert and Opera Theatre.
- In 2010, she performed with a small A Cappella group at the National Christmas Tree lighting.
- In 2011, she performed with the Washington Chorus under director, Julian Wachner, for a Gala Auction Fund Raiser.
- Currently, Whitney is an active supporter of CancerCanRock, a charitable effort to bestow the opportunity of musically-inclined, terminally-ill, artists to record a memory for their friends and loved ones.
(please donate often at www.cancercanrock.org)